Sunday, 20 April 2014

R-R (Local), A-A (Local), U-U (Local) and EPABX.

Back in 2006, many didn't have access to mobile phones. I didn't. So there were these landlines in our hostels. Those were EPABX ones, and you could make free calls within the campus. Of course, we didn't call our teachers. There were more useful things to do.

I, being without a girlfriend, never got an opportunity to use it. And practically none of my friends did either. More eligible ones were allowed. And they were seniors. They had a right to it.

However, all the calls were directed to only one and only one number: the Girl Hostel's. And since there were six Boys' hostel and only one Girls' Hostel, it was apparent that the number of EPABX phones in these hostels were six and one respectively. It was, therefore, hard to get a connection to the girl's hostel at first trial. Hence, if luck favoured a connection, it was seldom disconnected without seeking the permission of interested parties.

And there was always someone who was interested. A person wanting to talk to his girl friend: sweet and soft murmurings that would go on for hours and hours. More so, after 7 pm. It was the deadline for girls to enter their hostels. 

And so there were fixed routines. X and Y are talking for half an hour, then it will be the turn of A to talk wit B. And so on. So on. Till the morning hours. And I never understood what they talked for hours...until I became a victim of the same disease!

That didn't last for long: thanks to the telecom revolution. Reliance offered cheap calls, dirt cheap. You could call Reliance - Reliance (local) for Rs. 299/- only for one full month. Of course, it was very widely accepted. I know of a certain friend, who had a girlfriend in the campus. Well, they shared the cost very professionally: 50:50.

And there was this other plan: the night-plan. You get to call from your Reliance number to another Reliance number between 11 pm - 6 am, at a monthly cost of Rs. 69 only. I have to admit that I too used it once. But it was for STD call, between 11 pm -6 am. I remember sleeping once at 6 am. Of course, I ended this headache within one month. I could bear it no longer because I began missing classes. There were others however, who loved to walk and talk. They would walk around the corridor of the hostel, circling and circling, until the early hours of the morning. Sleep of hostellers, be damned!

However, there was this one problem. Reliance didn't have a good network. Of course, it didn't allow you to talk in your bed: Network problem. And so, they would revert back to their normal plans. I remember a great personalities paying Rs. 4000/- as their Airtel post paid bill for two months. I'm not gonna reveal the name.

However, things are different here in Ranchi. Here toh we have the 'Sabse Sasta...Uninor'. So you get a whole month of Uninor to Uninor calling (24*7)  free for only Rs. 89 only. Aircel also offered almost identical rates. So, you had a whole bunch of people with dual sim phones, talking and talking...endlessly. They kept two number: one for their parents, and for…you know whom. Of course, they missed their assignments. I too am guilty of this crime.

But it was not always negative. I have examples of people taking academics especially during the exams. You would hear people reading aloud, so that the one on the other end would study. This was the only positive thing that can be attributed to such plans.

And as I depart from Ranchi, moving into my new life of being away from the dear one, I have started searching for a similar roaming plan!


1 comment:

  1. Bhai......dos r experirnces dat u nid to hav.... wethr u spend 4000 in 2 months or 89/month or taking free on d EPABX.....after long long.....n never ending queue......memoriez f being a hostler n a students.....

    Itz sometimez good to b disobedient, insincer n back bencher

    Coz a stollen mango tastes better dan a bought one

    ReplyDelete

If you liked my post, do leave a comment to encourage me...!